Delicious Massaman Curry Recipe
Massaman curry is a fusion recipe influenced by Indian and Thai cooking styles. It utilizes red curry pastes made with aromatics like lemongrass, garlic, galangal used in East Asia, especially Thai and Malay recipes. Along with these, dry whole spices used in Indian recipes like coriander, cumin, cardamom, and cinnamon among others are used. Other important ingredients are coconut milk and roasted peanuts/peanut butter, which adds texture and richness to the curry. The result is a delicious and savory curry that is a creamy, mildly spicy, tangy, and sweet curry that smells amazing.
You can easily get Massaman curry paste from departmental stores, gourmet stores, and also online. If it is not available, Thai red curry paste is an excellent substitute. We prefer OrientAsian curry pastes as they provide authentic flavors and are made with fresh quality ingredients.
Ingredients for Chicken Massaman Curry Recipe
- Chicken (400 gm cubed)
- 1 ½ cups potatoes cut into small bits
- 2 peeled and diced carrots
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 5 Tbsp OrientAsian Massaman Curry Paste/Thai Red curry paste
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 400 gm full-fat coconut milk for a rich creamy curry (if want to make a lighter curry then use 200 gm light fat coconut milk or vegetable broth will 200 gm full-fat coconut milk)
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 to 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 2 to 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp coconut or vegetable oil (whichever is available)
- 1-1 ½ cup water
How to Prepare Massaman Curry Recipe
- Put a large pot over medium heat. Pour coconut oil.
- After about 2 minutes add sliced onions. Sauté for stir till they turn brown.
- Next add cumin and coriander powder and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Now add OrientAsian massaman curry paste/Thai red curry paste with soy sauce and mix them well together and stir for another 1 minute.
- Next add diced carrots and potatoes. Coat them thoroughly in the mix and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Now add water and coconut milk.
- Next add powdered cinnamon, brown sugar, and peanut butter.
- Ensure that all the ingredients are covered by the concoction of water and coconut milk. If they are not covered, then add more quantity of water and coconut milk.
- Bring the preparation to a low boil utilizing medium-high heat.
- Next, reduce the flame to a simmer and add diced chicken pieces.
- Now cook for around 15 minutes without covering the pot.
- Ensure it is cooking at a simmer and not boiling.
- After 15 minutes add lime juice and stir.
- Let the curry cook for another 2 to 4 minutes.
- Now turn off the heat.
- Serve after 5 minutes so that the flavors meld together. Accompany it with boiled basmati rice and chapatis and naans.
This is a delicious massaman curry recipe that utilizes chicken as a protein option. You can substitute it with fish and lamb too. Tofu is the substitute for chicken for a vegetarian massaman curry. The flavors and texture may differ due to protein choices but the fragrance and tanginess will be the same.