Vegetarian Tom Yum Soup Recipe
Tom Yum Soup is a popular Thai soup that is sour and spicy and usually includes shrimp. But its vegetarian version is also popular, tasty, and a great appetizer. Tom yum soup with paste, specifically OrientAsian Thai red curry paste makes the soup spicier. You can also add boiled eggs to the soup to make it more filling and protein-rich. It has a beautiful aroma and is considered healthy and nutritious.
Ingredients for Vegetarian Tom Yum Soup Recipe
- 150 gm chopped button mushrooms
- 1/4 cup diced green zucchini
- 1 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced carrots
- 1 mid-sized diced red bell pepper
- 1 ½ cups cubed soft tofu
- 2 stalks of sliced lemongrass
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 4 basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon OrientAsian Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1 teaspoon OrientAsian soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt as per taste
How to Make Tom Yum Soup Recipe
- Put the saucepan over low heat. Pour 4 cups of water into it.
- Crush the kaffir lime leaves and along with sliced lemongrass add them to the water. Doing so releases their flavor.
- Turn the heat to medium-high, and bring the concoction to a boil. Let it boil for about five minutes so that the flavors are released.
- The color of the water will turn green when you’re finished. Now your lemongrass stock is ready.
- Use a strainer to separate the stock from the leaves.
- Pour the lemongrass stock back into the saucepan.
- Add the diced cherry tomatoes, zucchini, bell pepper, carrots, and mushrooms into the mixture.
- Put the flame to simmer and let the vegetables cook till they are a bit tender. It should take between 5 to 8 minutes.
- Now add salt, sugar, OrientAsian Thai red curry paste, soy sauce, and lime juice at the end.
- Stir gently and add cubed soft tofu pieces.
- After 2 minutes, taste and adjust the flavors. You can add lime juice, soy sauce, and red curry paste to make the tom yum soup recipe more spicy, sour and salty that suits your palate.
- Ladle the soup into a bowl. Serve hot and garnish with basil leaves. To make it more filling you can add boiled eggs to the soup.
Tom Yum soup recipe is healthy, light, and nutritious. You can also prepare it to combat the common cold and flu symptoms. As it is served hot and is mildly spicy, it clears the nasal blockage and soothes the throat. Serve it as an appetizer before meals and also as a lightweight healthy filler when you feel hungry before meals.