Spicy Pad Thai Noodles Recipe
There is no doubt that you must have heard about Thai noodles, and especially the vegan version of the same. Well, with the growing popularity of veganism, how could we not talk about this one? Everyone’s favourite weeknight meal, here we have a delicious bowl of excellent pad thai noodles. So, it is going to be very quick, grab your diary, and note down this pad thai noodles recipe.
An authentic pad thai is something that you are bound to get in every Thai restaurant. Moreover, everyone loves that blend of intense flavours such as the fiery red chilli paste. However, most of the times, when you ask for a Thai noodles vegan, it turns out to be something highly disappointing. So, after gathering all the secrets from authentic Thai eateries, here is the pad thai noodles recipe that you will fall in love with.
Also, the condition of the world is terrible right now, and with all that is happening, dining out is not a safe option for all. Besides, when you have such a simple recipe, why do you even want to go out. Plan a candlelight dinner at home, and present the star of the day. One thing is rest assure that you are going to earn quite a few brownie points. No, one thing that you have to ensure is the quality of your noodles because that is the key here.
Similar to all other Thai recipes, this one is also rustic, hearty, and high on flavour and happiness. So, after much talking, let’s begin cooking.
Recipe for Thai Noodles (Pad Thai)
You can first take a look at the ingredients that you will require to prepare the dish, and then we can move on with the method.
Ingredients for the noodles vegan:
- rice stick noodles- 200 gm (7oz.)
- tamarind concentrate- 2.5 tablespoons
- soy sauce- 2 tablespoons (30ml)
- brown sugar- 3 tablespoons (36 gm)
- water – 1 tablespoon (15 ml)
- extra-firm tofu (tossed after pressing using 1 tablespoon cornstarch)- 4 oz.
- oil (your choice)- 3 tablespoons
- garlic cloves- 3 large (chopped)
- onion- 1 medium (sliced)
- Red chilli paste
- carrot- 1 medium (sliced very thinly)
- red pepper- 1 large (sliced very thinly)
- bean sprouts- 1.5 cups
- garlic chives- ½ cup (chopped into ¾ inches long pieces)
- salt- ¼ teaspoon or to taste
- red chilli flakes- ¼ teaspoon or to taste
- peanuts- 2-3 tablespoons for serving (chopped/ crushed)
- lime wedges
- Momo sauce/chutney
the last four ingredients are for serving purposes only
Cooking method for Thai noodles veg
- In a large pot, add your rice stick noodles, and then add boiling water to it for soaking. You have to let the noodles soak for about 8 minutes. Make sure that you are not boiling the noodles and just soaking it.
- After soaking, it is time to strain out the water and then rinse it well under cold water to stop the cooking process in them. Moreover, you can cut the noodles using kitchen scissors if that helps you to handle them better and toss them with the other ingredients easily.
*Handling the noodles is very important to prevent them from becoming soggy. For a better understanding of the necessary process, you can check the directions at the back of the noodles packet.
- Now, take a bowl, preferably a measuring bowl, and start adding the components for the sauce. So, in this step, you have to add the tamarind concentrate, brown sugar, soy sauce, and a tablespoon full of water. Next, you must stir all of these well and keep aside for later.
- To prep the tofu, you have to first press it for a good 20 minutes minimum with some heavy object. Please do this step before soaking your noodles so that everything happens simultaneously. Once, the pressing is done, it is time to cut the tofu into small cubes.
- Now, you have to add the cornstarch to the tofu and keep tossing it till all the small cubes are coated nicely.
- In a skillet, heat one tablespoon oil of your choice, keeping the flame on a medium. After heating it for a minute, add in the tofu, and make sure each cube touches the surface of the skillet. If needed, add the cubes in batches. Cook each side for 5-7 minutes, and toss over to another for the same. Now, take the tofu out on a plate and keep aside.
- Add the remaining oil to a wok now and keep the flame on medium-high. To this, add the chopped garlic, red chilli paste, sliced onion, and keep tossing for 2 minutes.
- Now add the other sliced vegetables and cook for the next 2 minutes, and finally add to it the bean sprouts. Give everything a nice mix.
- To the mix now add the momo sauce blend that you had made earlier.
- After mixing everything, add in the noodles and gently toss it all. You can use tongs to handle the noodles in this step for the most satisfactory results.
- Now let everything cook for about 2 minutes and then add the garlic chives.
- At this step, add the chilli flakes and salt as well, and turn off the flame.
It is time to serve the dish on a nice plate. For the garnishing, you put a generous amount of crushed or chopped peanuts. Also, put some hot sauce and lime wedges on the side. A lot of people also prefer to have a side of fried chopped garlic.
Few things to take care of in the pad thai noodles recipe.
- Choosing the correct type of noodles is crucial.
- The sauce that you use for the Thai noodles must be spot-on. Therefore, you must add specific ingredients only.
- Finally, a pad thai is incomplete without the garnishing condiments. Therefore, in this case, they are not optional at all.
You can also use our Thai green curry paste to make Thai noodles recipe. Now that you have the most easy-peasy & spicy veg pad Thai noodles recipe what is to wait? Go ahead, get all the ingredients from an Asian grocery store, and there you are! Apart from these recipes, there are various other recipes on our Asian food recipes page like Indonesian chicken curry recipe, Brinjal Curry Recipe etc. Not only we various recipe on our recipe page but also have different blogs related to recipes like Momos recipe with chutney, paneer curry recipe, veg biryani recipe etc. Happy Cooking!