Easy Vegetable Biryani Recipe
Vegetable biryani recipe is an aromatic and healthy rice dish made with the best quality basmati rice, veggies, herbs, and spices. Conventionally, Biryani was cooked with Dum (Cooked with steam.) cooking marinated meat with spices and basmati rice. By layering rice and biryani evenly in a large aluminum pot, the biryani recipes are prepared. When poured, the flavour is tightly sealed to avoid the escape and cook on low flame. However, our recipes are cheats or easily cooked in a pressure cooker, to combine the rice and gravy.
It an ideal dish for vegetarians to relish their taste buds with amazing flavours with vegetable biryani recipe, and cooking with veggies is simpler than cooking with meat because veggies do not require marinating. It might be very tricky and time-consuming to cook Biryani in its traditional style. No need to wait for so long when you can easily enjoy the dish by following the steps mentioned below to cook a healthy and tasty veg biryani Recipe in cooker only. Cooking in a pressure cooker is speedy and straightforward. Here we will provide you detailed notes for cooking delicious shahi vegetable biryani recipe or veg dum biryani in a pressure cooker.
This shahi veg biryani recipe is an aromatic and lightly spiced biryani full of nutrients and veggies. It takes only 30 minutes to get perfectly cooked and serves as a whole meal for the family. It’s delicious, healthy, and simple to prepare.
You may cook vegetarian Biryani recipe in a traditional style if you have sufficient time and patience to cook it in that way. It takes a lot of time to prepare and cook it. We prefer to resort to a simple and more accessible method that is a pressure cooker.
People often end up saying, “Biryani and Pulav are the same dishes,” which is a completely incorrect statement. Pulav is a simple dish made with rice, veggies, and very few spices; however, Vegetable biryani is a much more complex and tastier dish, which is cooked with yogurt and spice powders also which enhances its aroma and flavour. However, some people do prefer Rayta along with it, so you may or may not include it with your dish, it’s up to your choice. It is a flavour-packed and a complete recipe itself, which does not require any side dishes along with it.
PREPARATION TIPS FOR VEG BIRYANI RECIPE IN COOKER
Following are the preparations steps and tips:
- Add 1 cup of Basmati rice in a bowl and rinse it thoroughly with water 3-4 times until the water runs clear.
- Always soak the basmati rice in water for 30-45 minutes before cooking it in a pressure cooker. Soaking will not only help to speed up the cooking process but will also ensure to evenly cook the rice and vegetables.
- Alternatively, you can also add al dente cooked basmati rice and layer it on top gravy and lower the flame in a pressure cooker for 10 minutes.
- Lastly, marinate all veggies for 30 minutes in curd/yogurt with dry spices powder mentioned below in recipe card for enhancing its flavours.
- 1 Cup- 240mL
- Tbsp- tablespoon (15mL)
- Tsp-tea spoon (5 mL)
- Spices Required
- 2 Bay Leaf / Tej Patta
- 2 Inch Cinnamon Stick / Dalcheeni
- 1 Star Anise
- 5 Cloves / Long
- 4 Cardamom / Elachi
- ½ Tsp Pepper
- ½ Tsp Cumin Seeds / Jeera
- ½ Tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- 1 Tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder / Lal Mirch Powder
- ¼ Tsp Cumin Powder / Jeera Powder
- 2 Tsp Biryani Masala
- Salt To Taste
- Vegetables Required
- 1 Medium Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1 Tsp Ginger – Garlic Paste
- 5 Beans, Chopped
- 10 Florets Gobi / Cauliflower
- ¼ Cup Peas / Mattar
- 1 Carrot, Chopped
- 1 Potato, Cubed
- 3 Mushrooms, Sliced
- 6 Tbsp Coriander Leaves, Finely Chopped
- 20 Mint / Pudina Leaves, Roughly Chopped
- 1 Cups Basmati Rice, Soaked 30 Minutes
- 2 Tbsp Saffron Water
- 1 and 3/4 cups water or coconut Water
- 3tbsp yogurt
- 1tbsp Orientasian red chilli paste
- For garnishing
- 10-15 fried cashew (optional)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
RECIPE FOR VEGETABLE BIRYANI IN COOKER
(All ingredients are taken as per servings for 2)
- Take a thick-base big pressure cooker and heat ghee.
- Fry Cashew into it until they turn golden brown, take them out, and keep them aside for final garnishing.
- Add Jeera and all the spices into the same ghee. Sauté them well.
- Then add onions and slit green chili and stir fry them until the onions become golden or light brown.
- Then add ginger- garlic paste and Orienasian Red Chilli Paste and sauté them well for a minute or two until the raw smell goes off.
- Additionally, add in mixed vegetables and sauté till all the vegetables shrink.
- Now add in yogurt while keeping flame on low.
- Also, add in all spice powder Mirchi, haldi, dhaniya, etc., and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Add in the herbs, coriander leaves, mint leaves, and fried onions.
- Spread soaked basmati rice.
- Stir fry all the veggies for 2-3 minutes on high flame unless the tomatoes become soft and raw smell vanishes.
- Further, sprinkle biryani masala powder.
- Add coriander leaves, mint, and fried onions into it.
- Measure the water or coconut milk (whichever you prefer) in a separate bowl and add ¼ tsp salt into it (taste it, the liquid should be saline)
- Pour in saffron water and ghee.
- Close the lid of the Pressure cooker and cook it until the 1st whistle, then turn off the flame and let the cooker rest for 10 minutes (the steam will help to prepare the uncooked or semi-cooked rice itself and enhance its flavours too)
- Garnish the veggie biryani with fried cashew and lemon juice.
- Finally, vegetarian biryani recipe cooked in a pressure cooker is ready
- Serve it along with raita. (Optional)
Here are some essential tips and suggestions for an aromatic and spicy shahi veg biryani recipe.
Tips to enhance the taste:
- Use more ghee. Ghee enhances the flavour and aroma of the Biryani. Add one spoon full of ghee on to Biryani while serving it. Its rich, healthy and increases the characteristics of your dish.
- You can add fried or roasted Paneer cubes and vegetables of your choice to make it more nutritious.
- Always use good quality basmati rice for excellent texture and flavour.
- For garnishing, fry cashews, and other dry fruits, add in the same ghee before cooking Biryani, keep them aside and carry on with Biryani.
- Do not add a lot of potato to the vegetarian biryani recipe. It may get burnt and stick to the bottom, which will spoil the taste. Measure the number of veggies in a bowl before adding them to Biryani.
- If your rice isn’t cooked correctly, sprinkle some water over them and cover with a loose lid and cook for few more minutes. The sprayed water will steam the rice, and your rice will be cooked properly.
- Add the required amount of water only. Do not add more water to the recipe, and the whole dish will get mushy.
- Always remember, “Less is more” do not add a lot of biryani masala to your dish, it won’t enhance the flavour but make it bitter. So always add the right amount of masala powder to it.
- If you are using freezer stored veggies like carrots, peas, etc., make sure to rinse them thoroughly with warm water and wait for them to get to room temperature. Adding deep freeze vegetables will get sour during the cooking process and will make your dish mushy.
Nutrition values (as per serving of 1g)
- Calories- 420kcal
- Carbohydrates – 70g
- Protein – 7g
- Fat- 11g
- Sodium – 96mg
- Potassium – 413mg
- Fiber- 4g
- Vitamin A- 115 IU
- Vitamin C- 16.7mg
- Calcium- 67 mg
- Iron – 3.6 mg
6th Floor, Ivanhoe, 139 Backbay, Reclamation, Mumbai – 400021