Easy Besan Chilla Recipe
Experts believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and why not! After a good night’s sleep, a plate full of some healthy and delicious food can surely set your mood right for the rest of the day. While earlier people did not think twice before indulging in fried stuff early in the morning, things are not the same anymore. People are becoming more conscious about their health. Therefore, the perfect besan chilla recipe is what every household needs. As we said, breakfast must be delicious, quick, and packed with loads of nutrients too.
Now, you may think why out of everything we are choosing to recommend a simple recipe of besan chilla. Well, first of all, besan comes from dal or lentils, which are high sources of proteins. Moreover, besan or gram flour is low in bad carbohydrates, and too much fat. Last but not least, the process of making chilla does not require too much oil or deep frying. On the other hand, adding shredded vegetables makes the pancake more delicious as well as healthier. Therefore, eating besan chilla for breakfast means it will keep you full for a long time and it can also help you lose weight.
There are several types of besan cheela recipe, which means that some people like to add vegetables, and some don’t. On the other hand, some people like it with onions and tomatoes while others prefer the simpler version. Sometimes, these chillas or pancakes are made of ingredients other than besan. For example, there are varieties such as moong daal, Rava, and oats. However, we feel that the besan variety is the most traditional, and very easy to make too.
How to Make Besan Chilla?
In this article, you will learn the simplest recipe for besan chilla, and you will want to make it every morning after this. We are adding tomatoes here because choices differ, of course, however, you can skip it as per your wish. Well, if you still want to add it, then make sure that you are chopping it nice and small so that chunks do not bother the taste of the chilla.
Now, check out the summary of the ingredients that you require to make a gram flour pancake or a besan chilla.
Ingredients Of Besan Chilla Recipe
- besan (gram flour)- 100 grams
- onion (1 small)- finely chopped
- fresh coriander leaves- finely chopped
- green chilli- finely chopped (1 teaspoon)
- cumin seeds- ½ teaspoon
- Sri Lankan curry paste -2 teaspoon
- water- ½ to ⅔ cup
- oil- as required
- salt- as per taste
Here Is the Step-By-Step Besan Chilla Recipe:
- Measure 100 grams of besan and take in a deep-bottom mixing bowl
- Add a quarter cup of onion, finely chopped. To this, you have to add a quarter cup of finely chopped fresh coriander leaves. Finally, you can add chopped green chillies according to your spice tolerance level. However, make sure that all the vegetables here are chopped very finely. It is because any chunk can make it difficult for you to spread out the chilla batter in the pan.
- Next, it is time to add the spices. So, start with adding 2 teaspoons of OrientAsian Sri Lankan curry paste for a little heat. Finally, add some cumin seeds or ajwain, and salt as per your taste.
- Start by adding just half a cup of water and keep the rest for later.
- You must be having that wired whisk tool, so we need to use it in this step. It is time to whisk the mixture nicely to ensure that there are no lumps. You may require a few more spoon fulls of water to bring the batter to the correct texture. The same should not be totally watery, nor should it be dry and thick. Also, ensure that there are no lumps inside the batter.
- It is time to cook the delicious chillas, and for that, you need a non-stick flat-bottom pan. Heat the pan nicely with a bit of oil (very less because we are trying to make it healthy.) Now, use a ladle to pour out the batter once the is medium heated. Once you pour a ladle full of batter, quickly try to spread it into a nice round shape so that it looks like pancakes.
- The tip here is only to use the back part of the ladle and not otherwise. Moreover, you must be extremely gentle while trying to spread the batter because it will break otherwise.
- Keep the flame low because the batter needs to cook from inside also. If you keep the flame high, the outside will look cooked with a rubbery texture. However, the inside will remain raw. To understand that it is cooking, you will find that the surface of the chilla is developing small pores. It means that the heat is penetrating properly into the batter and it is now hard enough to sustain a flip.
- Before flipping the chilla to cook the other side, you must drizzle a little oil on top of it. However, you can skip the oil part if you want to keep it totally healthy. Now keep cooking it till both the sides get golden spots and have a slightly crisp coating.
- Now, you can fold the chilla and serve it hot on a plate. The best way to serve a chilla is hot. However, if you still have to keep it for later, use a nice airtight container or a casserole for the same. The food will remain soft and warm for later consumption.
While cooking is the major part, serving is also a part of a delicious besan chilla recipe. So, some people like to eat it plain, while serving it with some tangy mint chutney is a nice option too. You can shop all our curry pastes, sauces and chutneys on our Amazon Store, Bigbasket Store and BroEat Store.
So, here you have a detailed recipe for besan chilla that works best as breakfast.