Indonesian cuisine is a great blend of oriental and Arab cuisine. The freshness of oriental herbs and flavours marry beautifully with the mild spices used in Arab food. This easy Indonesian chicken curry recipe with star anise rice are a great example depicting the same. Since it’s spiced mildly it’s a hit amongst kids as well and is known as one of the best chicken curry recipes.
Prep Time Cook Time Serves
15 mins 30 mins 1-2 Persons
Ingredients of Easy Indonesian Chicken Curry Recipe
For Spice Mix
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
For the chicken curry
- 3 tsp oil
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 5-6 star anise
- 2-4 lemon grass
- Chicken about a kilo
- 3 tsp OrientAsian Indonesian Curry Paste
- 4 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 cup water
For Star Anise Rice
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 small onion,sliced
- 1 cup rice , soaked in water and drained.
- 5-7 star anise
- 2 ¼ cup water
- Salt to taste
- 2tsp Fried onion
- To make this best chicken curry, in a pan dry roast the whole spices and cool them and powder them in a motar and pestle.
- Take a pan and add oil, once its hot, add onions, star anise and lemon grass.
- Add chicken after a couple of min. Add salt and cook for 3-4 mins in its
- Now add the OrientAsian Indonesian Curry Paste and mix. Add water and cook for another couple of min.
- Finish off by adding coconut milk and give it a good stir.
- In a hot wok take some oil and onions followed by star anise.
- Add rice and water and add salt to taste.
- Cook the rice for 7-8 mins.
- Serve curry and rice together and serve them hot.
- Garnish with fried onions.
This dish is a perfect Sunday sit down family meal. Follow this easy Indonesian chicken curry recipe to explore Indonesian cuisine. Since we are familiar with most of the ingredients but the flavour will be an interesting outcome.
What People Say...
“ Tried Thai Green Curry paste and was literally bowled over by its authentic traditional Thai taste. To my surprise, the contents of the paste were 100% vegetarian. ”
“ The easy-to-use red chilli paste is my queen ingredient for all kinds of spicy dips, spreads and curry base. ”
“ My Malaysian chicken curry was an instant hit with all the guests who were not only pleased with its smooth texture but its rich aroma too. ”
“ My friend recommended OrientAsian's curry pastes and so I decided to try them out. I must say I am addicted to them and keep going back for more. They are just so delicious! ”